Workshop on Profinite Groups with Applications
We are pleased to announce a Workshop on Profinite Groups with Applications, sponsored by the Fields Institute.
The meeting will take place August 8-11, 2005 at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada.
- Moshe Jarden (Tel Aviv University): Relatively projective profinite groups and pseudo-closed fields
- Alex Lubotzky (Hebrew University): Counting primes, groups and manifolds
- Luis Ribes (Carleton University): Introduction to profinite groups
- Benjamin Steinberg (Carleton University): Profinite groups in automata and semigroup theory
- John Wilson (Oxford University): Separability properties of groups
- Jorge Almeida (University of Porto): Maximal subgroups of finitely generated free profinite semigroups
- Dan Haran (Tel Aviv University): Algebraic patching over rings
- Wolfgang Herfort (University of Vienna): Profinite groups with a CC-subgroup
- Florian Pop (University of Pennsylvania)
- Daniel Wise (McGill University): Residual finiteness in geometric group theory
- Pavel Zalesskii (University of Brasilia): Profinite surface groups and the congruence kernel of arithmetic lattices in SL2(R)
Luis Ribes and Benjamin Steinberg (Carleton University)
Registration will be 75 Canadian dollars (25 for students) and will be available on our Fields webpage shortly. This will include the conference dinner. There will be limited support available for students. Students can apply until the deadline of June 15, 2005.
Further information is available on our webpage at the Fields Institute.
To obtain more information, please contact Benjamin Steinberg.